Any student who is entering 5th grade in the Mission Attendance Area, and has at least 1 year’s Band instrument experience, may participate in the Hopkins Intermediate Elementary Band. (Note: 6th grade students should enroll for “Hopkins Advanced Elementary Band.”) 4th grade students with 1 or more years’ experience on a Band instrument may also be eligible for this class with the director’s approval. Instruments include Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Bassoon, Saxophone, Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, Baritone, Tuba, and Percussion.
The Intermediate Elementary Band allows students to work with one of their upcoming junior high music teachers for an entire year, and with a state-credentialed music teacher. Students continue to use the Standard of Excellence Method Book, and play a variety of band pieces with a focus on learning to perform in a large ensemble. There are two or more concerts during the school year.
Here is some general information for the 2017-2018 school year:
- Taught by Mr. Bill Flaherty
- Class starts mid-September
- Class meets at Hopkins Junior High School
- Class time: Wednesdays 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Uses the Standard of Excellence Method Book
- One-time donation of $190 for the entire year of instruction (September to June)
- Contact Mr. Conway for registration info for 2017-18 (email@example.com)