Any student who is entering 6th grade in the Mission Attendance Area, and has at least 1 year’s Band instrument experience, may participate in the Hopkins Advanced Elementary Band. 5th grade students with 2 or more years’ experience on a Band instrument may also be eligible for this class with the director’s approval. This program has been designed to prepare students to enter the Hopkins Junior High School Band Program in 7th grade. Instruments include Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Bassoon, Saxophone, Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, Baritone, Tuba, and Percussion.
The Advanced Elementary Band allows students to work with their upcoming junior high music teacher for an entire year, and with a state-credentialed music teacher. Students continue to use the Standard of Excellence Method Book, and play a variety of band pieces with a focus on learning to perform in a large ensemble. There are two or more concerts during the school year.
This class also presents the first opportunity for students to explore switching to instruments that are not usually taught at the elementary level. These include Oboe, Bassoon, Tenor Saxophone, French Horn, Trombone, and Baritone.
- Taught by Mr. Greg Conway
- Class starts in mid-September
- Registration deadline is August 1, 2017
- Class time: Thursdays 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- First hour of each class meeting: Work with specialists on the students’ instruments to learn instrument-specific techniques in order to better prepare for entrance into the junior high and high school band programs
- Second hour of each class meeting: Involves large-group rehearsals on concert performance literature
- Uses the Standard of Excellence Method Book, 1 and 2
- One-time donation of $190 for the entire year of instruction (September to June)