If only one thing could be recommended to students to make them all better musicians and help increase the enjoyment they get from playing their instrument, it would be to take private lessons. Taking private lessons offers several key advantages, including:
- The student gets instruction one-on-one with an expert who is extremely knowledgeable on that specific instrument.
- The student is exposed to literature that would not be covered in a normal band or orchestra class.
- The dedicated private student learns at an accelerated rate and progresses faster through the levels of band/orchestra.
- The student can work on specific individual problems with the private teacher and overcome them quickly rather than take a longer process through group rehearsal, which does not allow as much individual time with each student.
- The student has a lot more fun playing the instrument!
A weekly 30-minute lesson normally costs around $25-30 depending on the instructor’s experience and educational background. The benefits of taking private lessons are worth their cost.